We the players, of DemocracyCraft, in order to form a more perfect form of server, establish this Constitution to guarantee the preservation and protection of Justice, promote the general welfare of our players, and secure the liberty of our participation in the governance of this server. All citizens and the Government of DemocracyCraft will abide by these here set principles to play and unite as one server, DemocracyCraft.
Section One: Structure of Government
The Government of DemocracyCraft is separated into three arms of Government: the Legislative, the Executive, and the Judiciary. It's important to note that the Government and the Server Staff have completely different roles and functions.
The legislative arm of Government takes the form of a player-run Congress. The Congress consists of 7 players, referred to as Congressmen and Congresswomen (This is abbreviated to Rep. for Representative) elected to the Congress for a two month term.
The Congress is responsible for debating, creating, removing, and amending all server laws. The Congress is therefore key in representing the will of the people, allowing every citizen to have either a direct or indirect impact on the governance of the server.
Representatives start the bill creation process in congressional chats, before posting an official Draft Bill to Discord. After 48 Hours the Bill can be posted to Forums for a further 24 hours of consideration and public comment. A bill needs a quorum of 4 Aye votes to pass. Once the Congress passes the bill, it is then sent to the President for their approval.
Additionally, the Congress is responsible for approving and rejecting players nominated by the President for Cabinet and Judicial appointments. Congress also retains the power to dismiss incumbent Secretaries and Judges through a vote of no confidence. In order to pass, the vote of no confidence needs to achieve a 2/3rds majority (5/7 votes).
The Congress is presided over by the Speaker of Congress, who is responsible for maintaining the good order and efficient running of the Congress, as well as chairing congressional meetings, and putting bills to vote. Following the outcome of votes, the Speaker will liaise with the President seeking their approval. The Speaker makes most announcements on behalf of the Congress, announcing new Acts of Congress before forwarding them to Draftsman. The Speaker position is voted on by the Congress immediately after congressional elections. In order to remove the Speaker’s appointment, the Speaker must resign from Speakership or lose to a vote of no confidence (5/7 votes).
If a Representative is no longer fit for office, they can be removed from Congress early by the Speaker with the consent of all Representatives (Excluding the representative in question). When a Representative resigns or is removed from office, they will be replaced by any player nominated by the Speaker and approved by Congress. The nominee is, by convention, the player with the next most votes in the most recent election.
Responsible for the creation, as well as the modification and removal of all server laws.
- - Congress can also change rules in addition to laws, but only rules that affect groups that the government has oversight of.
- - Congress has the ability to amend the Constitution through an absolute majority vote + referendum.
- - Congress may amend, create, and remove government departments, including the roles and responsibilities they hold, and the positions -within them. This is a complex change.
- - Congress can override an Executive Order (EO) made by the President by a unanimous vote.
- - Congress can override a Presidential veto by unanimous vote - so long as it is a simple change.
- - Congress can check and approve government spending.
- - Congress cannot override a veto of a Government change or complex change.
- - Congress cannot give themselves power over other branches of Government nor can they take power away from them.
Speaker of Congress: 1950Minecrafter
The Judicial arm of Government consists of the courts. 3 Judges are to be nominated by the President and approved by the Congress.
The Judges are responsible for presiding over and delivering a non-bias verdict in lawsuits. Where a case is brought before the court against judge, or whenever a judge is unable to fulfil their duties, the Speaker of Congress may deliver a verdict. Judges can also be dismissed should they fail to retain confidence in the Congress.
Lawsuits are made in the Courthouse forum. These lawsuits can be either civil cases (a dispute between two parties, usually seeking compensation) or criminal cases (an appeal against a charge).
Representatives are able to challenge legislation in the court if they feel that it is unconstitutional. In this case, all Judges must deliver a verdict - the majority verdict stands.
The Judicial arm of Government, consisting of the courts, interprets the law, as written by the legislature and administered by the Executive.
- The courts consist of 3 Judges, or where there is a judge vacancy, the Speaker of Congress.
- The courts make judgements on criminal appeal cases such as appeals to charges against them.
- The courts make judgements on civil cases such as wrongful dismissal and compensation disputes.
- The courts are able to issue warrants to the Department of Justice.
- The courts are responsible for resolving government disputes.
- The courts act as a constitutional court, as a check on legislation and executive power.
The Executive arm of Government is made up of the President and Cabinet. Cabinet is group of advisers to the President, whom collectively administer and guide government decision making.
The President is both the head of state and head of government. The President nominates, appoints and dismisses members of the Executive Cabinet. Vested in the the President is the power to veto legislation passed by Congress. The President is the chairperson of Cabinet and therefore calls for and adjourns meetings. Additionally, the president may issue Executive Orders. The President also has the power to dissolve the Congress if asked by the Speaker after having been debated in the Congress.
The Vice President is second to the President and acts as their sole adviser and will be elected in Vice Presidential Elections every 2 months from the 15th of July 2020 on. Where the President is unable to fulfil their duties or is absent for an extended period of time, the Vice President assumes the role of President in an Acting capacity, bearing all responsibilities and powers of the President.
Secretaries are members of cabinet who each lead a government department or portfolio. It is the Secretaries job to oversee the efficient operations of their department, and to create and amend department policy in conjunction with the Government's direction. They appoint and dismiss employees of their respective departments. Secretaries are nominated by the President and approved by the Congress, continuing to server at the pleasure of the President. A Secretary may also be removed from office should they fail to receive and retain the confidence of the Congress. The President may appoint a Secretary without portfolio to Cabinet, whom does not lead any departments, rather acts as an adviser. The full title a Secretary is "Secretary of Example".
Example: Secretary of Justice, or Justice Secretary, is responsible for the Department of Justice.
The current government departments are:
- Department of Construction & Transportation (DTC): The department is charged with the creation of Government infrastructure and maintenance of build quality throughout the server's urban environments. The department oversees Constructor and Building Inspector employment. Additionally, the department is responsible for the administration of a DCT store and Government Tenders.
Department of Justice (DoJ): The department is charged with the maintaining the peace and good order of the server, through lawfully exercising it's power to enforce the laws of the server. The department oversees Police Officer employment of the server. Additionally, the department is responsible for the administration of an impound and providing security to government officials and events.
Department of Public Affairs (DPA): The department is charged with organising and hosting server community events, elections, and surveys. The department oversees Event Coordinator and Tour Guide employment. Additionally, the department is responsible for the administration of server social media accounts and the administration of cabinet meetings.
Department of Education & Commerce (DEC): The department is charged with maintaining the server's economic state, as well as to update server guidelines and laws. The department oversees economist and draftsman employment. Additionally, the department is charged with the administration of government grants and the registration of companies.
Department of Health (DoH): The Department of Health is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the server's health systems. The department oversees Doctor and Medical Specialist employment.
Department of Environment & Recreation (DER): The department is charged with maintaining the aesthetic of the server, through repairing and revitalising the natural landscape and assorted urban community spaces. The department oversees Ranger and Landscaper employment and farming practices around the server. Additionally, the department is responsible for the administration of a DER store, an Animal Shelter, and a Zoo. The maintenance of all government recreation facilities fall under the jurisdiction of the DER.
Cabinet members are not allowed to propose ideas that directly benefit their company or private interest.
- - The Executive branch, consisting of cabinet and government departments, administers and enforces the law respectively, as written by the legislature and interpreted by the judiciary.
- - The Cabinet consists of all secretaries who collectively run all government departments and influence government policy which includes, but is not limited to: changes to jobs, new settlements such as towns and cities, Capital city expansion, prices of government shops, events.
- - Cabinet also oversees everything owned by the Government including government cities, plots, apartments, and buildings, as well as the management of the Government balance.
- - Cabinet is responsible for changes (not law) in economic systems, transportation systems, and town/city systems. Cabinet has the ability to create and remove add-ons and systems relating to that as well.
Vice President: Temujim
Secretary of Education and Commerce (Treasurer): Technofied
Secretary of Construction and Transport: Block86
Secretary of Justice: SacredSpice
Secretary of Public Affairs: MistyRoses
Secretary of Health: Temujim
Secretary of Parks and Recreation: Simcube
Advisory Secretary: Vacant
Section Two: Rights & Freedoms
The Democracycraft Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it, subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law that are justified in a free and democratic server.
I. The right to participate in, and run for elected office in the DemocracyCraft Congress and Vice Presidency (from the 15th of July 2020 on).
II. The right to vote in Congressional Elections and Vice-Presidential Elections (from the 15th of July 2020 on).
III. The right to vote a Government official out of his or her office,
IV. No citizen is to be made to produce self-incriminating evidence in a court of law.
V. All accused are entitled to appeal a charge made against them by the state.
VI. Freedom of Political Communication.
Section Three: Changes to the Constitution
Any amendment to the Democracycraft Constitution, in order to protect the Constitution, must satisfy these requirements.
- A 'Bill: Draft' proposing changes to the constitution is made public.
- A Representative must then start a referendum on forums where citizens, over the course of 5 days, will vote on the proposed amendment.
- A double (Congressional Vote and the Referendum Vote) absolute majority (50%+1) needs to be achieved.
- Presidential Assent.
Any change to the Constitution must carry the short title of "Democracycraft Constitution Amendment Act."[/COLOR]
Last edited by a moderator: